Frequently Asked Questions


When do I need to have my carts out?

Please make sure that your garbage and recycle carts are out by 6:00am.

What do I do if I move?

If you are to moving to another residence inside of Jefferson County (except for Crooked River Ranch) simply call our office and let us know. We will get your roll cart transferred to your new house for you.

If you are moving outside of Jefferson County please let us know, and we can pick up your roll cart and recycling cart so you are not responsible for them if they are not returned. You are responsible for service until we are notified by you to stop service.


What if something doesn't fit in my cart?

If you have items that will not fit in your can, such as mattresses, old furniture, lawn mowers etc., call 475-2071 to schedule pickup.

Do you pickup on holidays?

Thanksgiving, Christmas Day & New Years Day are the only three days a year that we do not run our routes. If your day falls on one of those holidays, we will pick up the previous business day. All other holidays are on normal schedule.

What if I have extra garbage that won’t fit inside my cart?

We will pick up extra garbage outside your roll cart for an additional fee. There is no need to call the office. Just set the bag, box or can next to your roll cart.

How often will I be billed?

Residential customers are billed monthly or every other month.

Commercial customers are billed once a month for service provided the previous month.

Items that read “Regular” are the charges for our service, and “Extra” charges are for anything that does not fit entirely in your cart.


What if I'm out of town and don't need a pickup?

We are happy to give you credit for temporary stops or vacation skips. Please call our office at 475-2071 to arrange this before you leave.

What do I do if I miss a pickup?

If the driver misses you or you forgot to put your trash out please call us at 475-2071.

What happens if I miss a payment?

Non-payment of service will result in your roll cart and recycle cart being brought in after the third week from the stop date. If your roll cart is brought in, there may be a $25.00 resume fee added to your bill.